About this Data Protection Statement
In this Data Protection Statement when we refer to:-
- “you” we mean any person signing the attached Tenant/Guarantor Reference Form (“the Form”), whether as the Tenant or as the Guarantor;
- the “Tenant” and to the “Guarantor” we mean the persons identified in the “Tenant details” and the “Guarantor details” sections of the Form respectively;
- and our “Customer” we mean the person who has registered for our tenant reference services via our website (www.lettingref.com) and who is the landlord/letting agent of the Property;
- and the “Property” we mean the property proposed to be rented/leased by the Tenant, details of which appear in the “Property details” section of the Form.
This Data Protection Statement explains: what personal information we may hold about you; the purposes for which your personal information may be used; and details of third parties to whom your personal information may be disclosed.
Who are we?
Lettingweb Limited (a company incorporated in Scotland under the Companies Acts (company number SC242085)) and having its registered office at Exchange Tower, 19 Canning Street, Edinburgh,EH3 8EH), and each of its subsidiaries, holding companies and associated companies from time to time (hereinafter referred to collectively as “the Lettingweb Group”), is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected when personal information about you is provided to it. In this Data Protection Statement when we refer to “we” or ”us” shall mean Lettingweb Limited and/or any other member of the Lettingweb Group from time to time.
What personal information about you do we have?
We have personal information about you which appears on the Form.
In addition to information about you which appears on the Form, our Customer may also provide us with information about you. This may include, among other things, the following information:-
- your name and email address;
- your date of birth;
- your gender;
- details of your previous addresses;
- your current employer and salary;
- and details of properties formerly owned or occupied by you
We may also hold information about you which we have received from third parties, such as credit reference agencies, fraud prevention agencies and insurance reference agencies, which may include:-
- all the types of information mentioned in the previous paragraph;
- whether you have any adverse credit history;
- whether you have any CCJs or similar judgements against you;
- whether you have ever been bankrupt;
- details of previous address at which you have lived;
- any references given by your existing employer and/or landlord;
- details of insurance claims you have made.
There is also an online storage facility on our website which our customer may use to upload and store copies of important documents such as your birth certificate, passport, utility bills, bank statement and drivers licence.
We will ensure to take all reasonable steps to keep accurate and up to date any information which we hold about you. If, at any time, you discover that information which we hold about you is incorrect, you should contact us to have the information corrected.
For what purposes will your personal information be used?
Your personal information will be used in order that we may carry out a carrying out various searches and checks against you for the purposes of providing our Customer with information which will assist them (or, as the case may be, the landlord and/or letting agent of the property you wish to rent) decide whether you are a suitable tenant or guarantor (as the case may be).
Your personal information may also be used:-
- for our own administrative, sales, marketing and product /service development purposes;
- in order to enable us to arrange policies of insurance for the landlord / letting agent of the Property;
- for the prevention of fraud and money laundering;
- for debt recovery purposes;
- for direct marketing purposes;
- to make credit decisions about you (which may involve credit scoring);
- and to make judgments about your suitability to rent the Property and make recommendations about such matters to our Customer.
To whom will your personal information be disclosed?
Unless we have your prior consent, we shall not sell, rent, trade or share any personal information which we hold except that:
- we may disclose information which is held by us where required to do so by law or in connection with legal proceedings;
- we may disclose aggregate statistics to third parties which are made up from statistics in respect of individual persons but these statistics will not include personally identifying information;
- we may disclose personal information to our legal, accounting, marketing or other professional advisers, our website hosts and our courier, postal or transport providers, and insurers (names and addresses only in the latter case);
- we may also disclose your personal information (including details about your financial history and credit worthiness) to our Customer, who may in turn disclose that information to the landlord of the Property;
- we may also disclose your personal information to credit reference agencies and fraud prevention agencies; we may also disclose your personal information to other agencies who maintain/compile databases of insurance claims and information for the purposes of sharing that information with providers of credit and insurance (“Insurance Reference Agencies”);
- and we may also disclose your personal information to insurers and/or insurance agents;
- and we may disclose your personal information to third parties (such as your existing and previous employers and your existing and previous landlords) for the purpose of such persons giving us a reference about you;
- and we may disclose your personal information to other members of the Lettingweb Group.
Other important information you should know
Where we have been supplied with details of third parties (such as your existing or previous employers, and your existing or previous landlords/letting agents), we may contact those third parties with a view to verifying any information which we have been provided about yourself.
You hereby agree that we or our agents may search the databases of third party data providers such credit reference agencies and Insurance Reference Agencies for the purposes described above.
We may use your personal information to make credit decisions about you and/or to make judgments about your suitability to rent the Property (if you are the Tenant), or guarantee the obligations of the Tenant (if you are the Guarantor), and make recommendations about such matters to our Customer. To make or assist in the making of such decisions and recommendations, we may use a process called credit scoring and/or other automated decision making processes. Your personal details will be passed to our customer, who may use that information to make similar decisions and recommendations about you. They in turn may pass your personal information to the landlord of the property which you propose to rent.
As explained above, your personal details may be passed on to credit reference agencies and Insurance Reference Agencies. Such agencies may record the search and such information may be shared with credit grantors, insurers other persons making a search against you in future and be used for credit decisions and insurance decisions and fraud prevention.
In the event of you defaulting on rental payments in terms of any lease or tenancy agreement which you may have with the landlord of the Property (or their agents) (if you are the Tenant), or in the event of you defaulting in your obligations to guarantee the obligations of the Tenant (if you are the Guarantor), such information may be such information may be supplied to credit reference agencies and Insurance Reference Agencies.
You are entitled in law to receive a copy of personal information or data about you which is held by us on payment of £10 (or such other sum as may be prescribed by law from time to time). We will also, on written request from you, amend any personal information which we hold about you. Where we amend the personal information which we hold about you, we will generally retain a copy of the previous version for our records. However, as noted above, we will not hold on to any personal information for any longer than is necessary for the purposes noted above. Our contact details can be found on the Form.
Please note that, if you are under 16 years old, you must provide us with the name and address of your parent or guardian. We will let him or her know that you are providing us with personal information and seek any necessary consents from him or her.
Fraud prevention agencies
If false, inaccurate or misleading information is provided and fraud is identified, details may be passed to fraud prevention agencies. Law enforcement agencies may access and use this information. We and other organizations may also access and use this information to prevent fraud and money laundering, for example, when:
- checking details on application for credit and credit related or other facilities;
- managing credit and credit related accounts or facilities;
- recovering debt;
- checking details on proposals and claims for all types of insurance;
- or checking details of job applicants and employees.